Quick and easy quick pickled red cabbage. Perfect as a side dish or topping on salads, bowls, tacos, and more!
Folks, let's talk about Quick Pickled Red Cabbage!
Here’s the thing: I’m super into fermented foods like kimchi and sauerkraut, but have neither the time nor the counter space to faff around with making my own. Quick pickling, on the other hand, I’m all over. I’ll quick pickle circles around you if you’re not careful.
How do you make quick pickled red cabbage?
All you need to do for the quick pickled red cabbage is mix some vinegars together with water, a bit of sugar, and some spices, cram some finely shredded red cabbage into a jar, pour the pickling liquid over top, and wait for the magic to happen. That's it! Easy peasy.
The longer you let it sit the more pickly it’ll be, but even if you let it sit for just a couple of hours you’ll end up with a delicious, crunchy, pickly, vibrant red cabbage.
What should I do with my quick pickled cabbage?
The pickled red cabbage will last for a couple of weeks in your fridge, so you’ll have plenty of time to use it up.
Other recipes like this:
Quick Pickled Red Cabbage
- ½ medium red cabbage finely shredded
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon light brown muscovado sugar
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Finely shred the cabbage using a very sharp knife or mandolin.
- Stuff as much cabbage as you can fit into a 1L wide mouth mason jar. Really cram it in, you can fit a lot more than you think!
- Whisk together water, vinegars, sugar, spices, and salt. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the liquid over the cabbage.
- Seal the jar, and place into your fridge to sit for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Nutrition values are an estimate only