Naan Pizza is an amazing way to get a quick and easy dinner on the table in 20 minutes or less! This margherita flatbread uses grocery store naan bread to make it a breeze. The recipe is endlessly customizable to suit everyone in your family, and kids can help to make their own.
Guys. Let me introduce you to one of my favourite quick and easy dinner time hacks... Naan Pizza! It's super easy to make, faster than takeout, and incredibly delicious.
This is whats-for-dinner-on-a-weeknight, hangry kids, tired mom, need something on the table in less time that it takes to watch an episode of Daniel Tiger kind of pizza.
Naan Pizza is made with store bought ingredients, starting with packaged naan bread and customizable with toppings that your kids will actually eat, (or a fancied-up Flatbread Pizza for yourself).
Naan Pizza is good, it is comfort food, and it's what's for dinner tonight, so no complaining, you hear me? Pour yourself a glass of wine, mamma. Let's do this thing.
Naan Pizza Ingredients
We're keeping this ingredients list short and simple. Here's what you'll need to make your naan pizza:
- Naan bread --> Or another store-bought or homemade flatbread is fine too.
- Pizza sauce --> I used store-bought, but you can totally make homemade pizza sauce if you want.
- Cheese --> A ball of fresh mozzarella is what I used here, but feel free to grab a bag of pre-shredded mozz.
- Toppings --> Choose your favourites! I used these semi-dried tomatoes and they are soooooo good on a margherita flatbread.
- Fresh basil --> My kid freaks out about "leaves" on his food, so this is totes optional.
How to make Naan Pizza
Throw the kids in front of the iPad, pour yourself a big ol' glass of wine and fire up your oven. I got you, momma.
Step 1: Toast your naan. This step is optional, which we will discuss below, but does result in the crispiest pizza crust. You'll do this in a pre-heated oven, directly on the wire racks.
Step 2: Place your toasted naan bread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and spread with pizza sauce. Add your favourite toppings, and cheese.
Step 5: Bake your margherita flatbread for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is nice and bubbly on top.
Step 6: Slice your naan pizza like a boss. Top with fresh basil if desired.
Ugga mugga. Dinner is done.
Where to find naan bread
Typically you can find packaged naan bread either in the bakery section or ethnic aisle of your grocery store. If you can't find naan, don't despair! You can absolutely substitute another type of flatbread.
To make this margherita flatbread I like using naan, pita, or even homemade flatbreads too. I batch cook my Spelt Pizza Dough and freeze par-cooked bases, which are perfect for quick and easy flatbread pizzas. Or try making your own homemade naan bread!
It's also fun to use flatbreads of different sizes! I found mini naan which is perfect for the kids, though I used the full-sized ones in these photos.
Best toppings for naan pizza
The best toppings are your favourite toppings! I'm a minimalist when it comes to pizza toppings, so just a bit of good cheese and some semi-dried tomatoes and I'm good to go. If you prefer to add ALL the toppings, you do you. Here are some ideas:
- Thinly sliced peppers
- Sliced olives
- Roasted garlic
- Black olive tapenade
- Green onion
- Leftover baked potatoes
- Sharp cheddar
- Veggie pepperoni
- Thinly sliced pear
- Blue cheese
You can, but you really don't have to since these come together so quickly. If you know you have a super busy day, you could pre-assemble the naan pizzas and then throw the tray into the fridge until you're ready for them.
You sure can! You can freeze pizza either before or after baking. Just wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or foil, and freeze for up to three months.
This totally depends on how crisp you like your pizza crust, and the density of your naan. The local-to-me packaged naan is quite dense, so I find toasting isn't necessary. If your naan is soft and fluffy, you may find the toasting will give you a sturdier naan pizza.
Your pizza is as healthy as what you put on it, my friends. Load it up with tons of cheese and greasy, salty meat then it's certainly not a health food. If you can find a whole grain pizza crust and top it with lots of vegetables it'll be a whole heck of a lot better for you.
Naan Pizza Recipe
- 2 large naan breads or other flatbread
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- 3.5 oz fresh mozzarella or shredded cheese
- ½ cup semi-dried tomatoes or your favourite toppings
- fresh basil
- Preheat your oven to 200°C / 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- If desired, toast the naan bread directly on the wire rack in the oven for 2 minutes on each side. This will provide the crispiest crust.2 large naan breads
- Place the naan on the prepared baking sheet. Spread the naan breads with pizza sauce. Top with tomatoes and torn mozzarella.½ cup pizza sauce, 3.5 oz fresh mozzarella, ½ cup semi-dried tomatoes
- Place into the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and top with fresh basil.fresh basil
- Slice the pizzas and serve.
- Nutrition values are an estimate only and will vary depending on size and type of your flatbread and what pizza toppings you choose.
This recipe was first published September 19, 2019. It was re-tested, edited, and updated March 3rd, 2023.
My Mom and I made this with pepperoni and olives and completely loved it! I can't wait to try it out again!