This Falafel Sandwich Recipe is the perfect protein-packed vegetarian lunch or dinner. Made with hot falafel, lots of veggies, and a dreamy tahini sauce, it's perfect stuffed into pita bread or mix things up with a baguette.
This Falafel Sandwich is the stuff that dreams are made of. Maybe just my dreams? But I suspect not.
It's the contrasts for me with this delicious middle eastern sandwich. Crisp, hot falafel snuggled next to cool cucumber. Tangy pickled onions with luxurious tahini sauce. Everything comes together in an explosion of texture and flavor to form the most perfect sandwich that I can think of.
Oh and did I mention that this Falafel Sandwich is completely vegan? Packed with plant-based protein? Brings tons of dietary fiber? And is loaded with veggies?
We make this recipe with healthy homemade falafel, but store-bought is perfectly fine if you want to keep things simple. Grab frozen falafel from your grocery store or go for deli-made falafel if you have a good source.
Like I said, it's a dream come true. And once you've got the hang of it, this is sure to become one of your back pocket recipes. Are you ready to make this thing?
Falafel Sandwich Ingredients
You'll find specific quantities of these ingredients in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. For now, here's a quick overview of everything you need to make this dreamy Falafel Sandwich recipe.
- Falafel --> I used our Air Fryer Falafel in this recipe, but you can also use frozen falafel or grab some from your favourite deli if you prefer.
- Bread --> Go for pita, flatbread, or even a baguette.
- Hummus --> Storebought is fine, or try our Chipotle Hummus or Mung Bean Hummus.
- Cucumber --> For that cool crunch.
- Tomatoes --> As one does.
- Lettuce --> Green leaf lettuce is how we roll.
- Pickled onions --> I used our Spicy Pickled Onions, but feel free to grab some from your local deli. You can also sub in sliced red onion if you prefer.
- Cilantro --> Swap with parsley if you prefer.
- Tahini --> For that dreamy sauce.
- Garlic --> Because of course.
- Lemon --> For a bit of zing!
- Olive oil --> to bring it home.
How to Make a Falafel Sandwich
There are detailed instructions in the printable recipe card at the end of this post. For now, let's walk through it step by step.
Step 1: Make your Tahini Sauce
Simply whisk together the tahini, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, water, salt, and black pepper.
Tip! If the sauce doesn't taste garlicky enough for you, set it aside and wait a few minutes before you decide to add more cloves garlic. The garlic flavour tends to "bloom" over time, and I find that less is more when it comes to this sauce.
Step 2: Prepare your fillings
Slice your cucumber, wash your lettuce, chop your tomatoes, and gather your herbs.
This is also when you'll want to heat up your falafel. If you're making them from scratch, you'll be air frying them now. If you're heating cold or frozen falafel, the oven or the air fryer are great options for crisp falafel.
Step 3: Assemble your Falafel Sandwich
Take your bread of choice and smear it liberally with hummus. Top with veggies, then the hot falafel patties. Add pickled onions, fresh cilantro (or coriander for those on the other side of the world), and a drizzle of that creamy tahini sauce.
That's it! Your Falafel Sandwich is ready.
Tips for the Best Falafel Sandwich
This recipe is super easy to make, but there are a few tips to keep in mind to ensure you have the best possible falafel sandwich!
Choose the right bread
I find that stuffing falafel into pita pockets is always problematic as they tend to break. My preference is to use big, soft flatbreads that you can wrap around the filling to make a falafel pita sandwich - large, warm pita bread works well for this. Otherwise, I love to use a baguette, which I know is not traditional, but it makes a wonderful falafel sandwich.
Use hot falafel
This is a sandwich that relies on contrasts for its deliciousness. While you certainly can use room-temperature falafel, your sandwich will always be most delicious with crisp, hot falafel.
Less is more when it comes to filling your sandwich! You can of course stuff it as full as you want, but it's going to be a messy undertaking to eat it if it has been overfilled.
Mix it up!
This recipe is written the way we prefer our falafel sandwiches, but you can of course mix it up! Use the fresh vegetables, herbs, and sauces that you like best and make it your own.
While I think falafel sandwiches are most delicious made to order with hot falafel, you can definitely make them ahead of time and serve them at room temperature. This is a great way to use up leftover falafel.
If you're planning on making them advance you may want to leave out any ingredients that will make the sandwich soggy, like fresh tomatoes.
The best bread is your favourite bread! Traditionally either pita bread or large, soft flatbread is used. I also think your favourite sandwich bread or a baguette is delicious.
Sure thing! The Air Fryer Falafel recipe we use is naturally vegan and gluten-free. If you choose a gluten-free flatbread to make your sandwich, then the whole shebang is gluten-free as well. Alternatively, make a falafel bowl rather than a sandwich.
You bet it is! Particularly THIS falafel sandwich, which starts with air fried falafel. But any falafel sandwich is packed with plant-based protein from the chickpeas, and loaded with fresh veggies and herbs.
Although you'll find many similar flavours in Greek cuisine, falafel actually originates from Egypt and the middle east. However, Greek dishes, such as tzatziki, pair beautifully with falafel sandwiches.
What to Serve with Falafel Sandwich
As far as I'm concerned, a falafel sandwich has everything you need all wrapped up in the bread, so it's perfectly fine just on its own. But if you wanted to get creative and serve a big meze platter or let people customize their own sandwiches, here are a few ideas.
Serve alongside this Greek Cucumber Salad or Kale Tabbouleh Salad. Not a traditional pairing, but this Watermelon Salad with Feta and Mint is also really delicious alongside Falafel Sandwiches. Or, try these Grilled Tomatoes with Cheese.
If you want to mix things up in the sauce department, give this dreamy Roasted Red Pepper Dip a try, or bring the heat with this Spicy Turkish Salsa. Cool things down with yogurt or tzatziki sauce drizzled over top, or add some baba ganoush on the side.
Falafel Sandwich Recipe
- ¼ cup tahini preferably runny tahini
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 small clove garlic crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 - 20 falafel patties depending on size, or 1 batch air fryer falafel
- 4 large flatbreads or pita bread, or sandwich bread of choice (see note)
- ½ long English cucumber sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes sliced, or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small bunch green leaf lettuce
- ½ cup pickled red onion or sliced red onion
- ½ cup hummus homemade or storebought
- cilantro and / or parsley for garnish
To make the Tahini Sauce
- In a small bowl, whisk together tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, water, salt, and pepper. Taste, and adjust the seasonings if necessary.¼ cup tahini, 1 Tablespoon olive oil, 2 Tablespoons lemon juice, 3 Tablespoons water, 1 small clove garlic, Salt and pepper to taste
To make the Falafel Sandwiches
- Heat up the falafel if it is not freshly made.16 - 20 falafel patties
- Spread each flatbread with hummus4 large flatbreads, ½ cup hummus
- Layer lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, and pickled onions over top½ long English cucumber, 2 medium tomatoes, 1 small bunch green leaf lettuce, ½ cup pickled red onion
- Add the falafel16 - 20 falafel patties
- Drizzle with tahini sauce, and garnish with fresh herbs.cilantro and / or parsley for garnish
- Fold or roll up to make your sandwich
- Nutrition values are an estimate only and will vary depend on type of falafel, type of bread, and other ingredients in use.