Tempeh Tacos!!! These vegetarian tacos are made with an easy vegan taco filling made from tempeh. They're super fast to make, healthy, and delicious, and the vegan taco meat is full of plant-based protein.
Tempeh Taco Meat
- 8 oz tempeh crumbled
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil for frying
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- soft corn or flour tortillas
- shredded cabbage
- avocados sliced
- hot sauce and lime wedges for serving
- pickled jalapeños
Place the crumbled tempeh in a small bowl and drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Toss to coat well, then sprinkle the cumin, oregano, and chili powder, and smoked paprika over top, and toss with the tempeh.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons of oil, and then add the diced onion.
Sauté the onion for about five minutes, until it it starting to brown. Then add the garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes.
Add the seasoned tempeh. Sauté, stirring every couple of minutes, until the tempeh is golden brown.
Remove the tempeh from the skillet and into a bowl.
Now you can use the still warm skillet to warm your tortillas (you can also do this in the oven) if you like.
To assemble the tacos, sprinkle a bit of shredded cabbage onto a warmed tortilla. Top with tempeh, avocado slices, and salsa. Serve with hot sauce and a wedge of lime. Enjoy!
- Nutrition values are an estimate only.
- Nutrition calculation is based on six tacos made with corn tortillas.
- The number of tacos you get out of this recipe will vary depending on how much filling you prefer to use per tacos. For me it made six nice-sized tacos, and I found two tacos per person to be a good serving size.
Calories: 198kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 20mg | Potassium: 252mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 150IU | Vitamin C: 2.3mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 1.7mg