Indonesian Black Rice Pudding
Indonesian Black Rice Pudding is a healthy vegan recipe that's perfect for breakfast or dessert! Made with coconut milk and naturally sweetened with coconut sugar, this rice pudding recipe can be made on the stove top or in the Instant Pot.
- 1 cup Indonesian black rice
- 14 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups water *reduce to 1 cup for Instant Pot
- a pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar or other sweetener (see notes)
- diced banana, coconut chips, and hemp hearts for garnish
TO MAKE ON THE STOVE TOP
In a medium-sized pot, combine the black rice, coconut milk (reserve a couple of Tbsp for drizzling if you like) salt, and 1 1/2 cups water.
Bring to a boil, then reduce the temperature to low and simmer covered until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed (you still want a little liquid as the pudding will continue to thicken as it cools). This will take about an hour, so be sure to give it a good stir every once in a while and check on the cooking progress.
Once the rice is cooked, remove from the heat, then stir in one Tbsp of your chosen sweetener, and taste. You may or may not want to add another.
TO MAKE IN THE INSTANT POT
Combine black rice, coconut milk, coconut sugar, and 1 cup of water in the Instant Pot.
Seal the Instant Pot, and set to Manual --> High pressure for 22 minutes.
When the pressure cooking cycle has finished, allow the steam to release naturally for 10 minutes, then flip to quick release the rest of the steam. Tip! I like to do this under my stove fan if possible. If not, throw a kitchen towel over the top to control the steam.
Remove the lid and give the rice pudding a good stir.
Serve hot, warm, or cold (my favourite) drizzled with a bit of extra coconut milk, and garnished with diced banana and a sprinkle of hemp hearts.
- Nutrition values are an estimate only.
- Black rice pudding will thicken as it cools, so when the rice is tender if there's a bit of liquid left, don't worry, it'll absorb.
- Can I use another kind of rice? I have only tested this recipe with black rice, and the cooking time and liquid ratios are specific to that.
- Can I use another kind of sweetener? Yes! This recipe calls for 2 Tbsp of coconut sugar, but you can swap it out for regular sugar, maple syrup, or honey if you like.
- Rice pudding will last 3-4 days in the fridge.
Calories: 419kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 21g | Sodium: 35mg | Potassium: 364mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin C: 2.8mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 2.3mg