Kale Tabbouleh Salad
This Kale Tabbouleh Salad is a healthy riff on traditional tabbouleh. Kale provides some heft, while chickpeas add protein and complement the bulgur to make this tabbouleh salad a complete meal.
- 2 bunches parsley about 160 grams / 5 oz leaves and stems
- 1 cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 8 leaves lacinato kale de-stemmed and sliced into ribbons
- 1 cup bulgur wheat cooked according to package directions
- 1 medium roma tomato diced
- 14 oz chickpeas drained and rinsed well
For the dressing
- Juice of 1 lemon about 1/3 cup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon smooth Dijon mustard
Wash the parsley well, and then place the leaves and stems into the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times.
Wash the kale well and de-stem. Add the kale and mint to the bowl as well, and pulse until everything is chopped to bite-sized pieces
Add diced tomatoes, chickpeas, and the cooked and cooled bulgur to the bowl and toss to combine the salad.
To make the dressing
Whisk together lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, and Dijon mustard.
Pour half of the dressing over the salad and toss to dress. Taste, and decide if you want to add the rest of the dressing.
Serve the salad, with extra dressing reserved if needed.
- Nutrition values are an estimate only
- If it seems like a lot of dressing, remember that the bulgur will soak up a lot of it. If you don't want to add it all, reserve the remainder for when you serve the salad, as you may find that you'll end up needing more.
- Serves four as a main, or six as a side.
Calories: 290kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 37mg | Potassium: 533mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 3488IU | Vitamin C: 48mg | Calcium: 107mg | Iron: 4mg