Chickpea Salad Sandwich
This Chickpea Salad Sandwich is made with wholesome ingredients and packs a ton of flavour, protein, and dietary fiber into a sandwich. Great for packed lunches, picnics, and more. If you're looking for an easy and delicious vegetarian sandwich, this is it!
- 1 3/4 cups chickpeas rinsed and drained Equal to one 14oz can of chickpeas
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds toasted
- 3 Tbsp plain yoghurt
- 1 - 2 Tbsps mayonaise
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 small red pepper finely diced
- 1/2 cup green onion thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp capers drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices sandwich bread
Place a dry skillet over medium heat and add the sunflower seeds. Shake the pan frequently, until the seeds are lightly browned and fragrant - about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Finely dice the red pepper. Thinly slice the green onion. Finely chop the parsley.
Place the chickpeas into a medium-sized bowl and lightly smash them with a fork.
Add the toasted sunflower seeds, yogurt, mayo, mustard, green onion, parsley, and capers.
Stir to combine, taste, and season with salt and pepper.
To make the sandwiches, spoon the chickpea salad onto large slices of sandwich bread.
- Nutrition values are an estimate only.
- Chickpea salad will last for 3-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- To make vegan chickpea salad, replace the yogurt and mayo with plant-based yogurt OR with an equivalent amount of prepared hummus.
Calories: 281kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 386mg | Potassium: 192mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 308IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 172mg | Iron: 3mg