Spicy Mung Bean Salad
This Spicy Mung Bean Salad will knock your socks off! Made with honey roasted carrots, pan-fried halloumi, and a spicy dressing, this vegetarian mung bean salad is perfect as a side dish or a main.
For the carrots
- 2 cups sliced carrots about 3 large carrots
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp flaky sea salt
For the halloumi
- 8 oz halloumi cubed
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the salad
- 2 cups cooked mung beans
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp caraway seeds 1
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
For the carrots
Pre-heat your oven to 400°F/200°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together the honey and olive oil, warming the honey if need be.
Add the carrots to the bowl, and toss to coat with the honey and olive oil mixture. Season with flaky salt.
Spread the carrots into a single layer on the baking sheet.
Place in the oven and roast for 15 minutes, remove, flip the carrots, and roast for another 5-10 minutes, until golden and crisp around the edges.
Set aside to cool slightly.
For the Halloumi
Heat a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium-high heat.
Add a tablespoon of olive oil, and the cubed halloumi.
Pan-fry, stirring occasionally, until the halloumi is golden on all sides.
Remove from the heat and set aside.
For the spiced oil
Heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat in a small frying pan.
Add the fennel, cumin, and caraway seeds, and cook for 1-2 minutes until the seeds are sizzling.
Remove the pan from the heat, and add the crushed garlic and chilli flakes. Allow the residual heat to gently cook the garlic.
To make the mung bean salad
Place the cooked mung beans into a large bowl. Add the spiced oil, along with all of the spices.
Add the apple cider vinegar, and toss to combine.
Add the honey roasted carrots, pan-fried halloumi, and the chopped cilantro.
Toss everything to combine well. Transfer the salad to a serving platter.
- Nutrition values are an estimate only.
- Mung beans can be cooked a day ahead of time. The roasted carrots and halloumi can also be prepared in advance.
- Mung bean salad is good served warm, cold, or at room temperature.
- If you can't find halloumi, you can replace it with cubed or crumbled feta. Do not pan-fry the feta in this case.
- For a vegan salad, skip the cheese, or replace with tofu feta.
Calories: 362kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 682mg | Potassium: 329mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 7259IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 422mg | Iron: 1mg