Instant Pot Pasta Sauce
This easy Instant Pot Pasta Sauce has a deep, rich, all day simmered flavour, but it takes just 25 minutes in your pressure cooker. Loaded with veggies, this healthy tomato sauce is vegetarian and easily made vegan. Perfect for spaghetti, lasagna, and other pasta dishes.
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 cans crushed tomatoes three 14oz / 400g cans
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 tsp honey or sugar
- 3 small bay leaves
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water I rinse out the tomato cans and use this as the extra liquid
Set your Instant Pot to the sauté setting on "normal" heat.
Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil, and add the diced onion. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, until just translucent.
Add the garlic, carrots, and celery, and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are starting to soften and just take on a golden hue.
Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, butter, honey, oregano, basil, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and extra liquid.
Seal the lid, and set to manual pressure cooking on high pressure for 25 minutes. It will take about 15 minutes to come up to pressure.
When the pressure cooking cycle is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes, and then quick release the remaining pressure.
Remove the bay leave, stir the pasta sauce, and purée if desired.
- Nutrition values are an estimate only.
- Pasta sauce can be frozen once completely cooled in glass jars (be sure to leave adequate head space) or silicon freezer bags.
- To make vegan pasta sauce, replace the butter with olive oil and the honey with sugar. Be sure to use a vegan wine.
- You can replace the red wine with vegetable broth if you don't want to cook with wine.
Calories: 178kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 966mg | Potassium: 882mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 4505IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 114mg | Iron: 4mg