Amazing Vegan Gravy
Amazing Vegan Gravy is the vegetarian gravy recipe you've been waiting for! Made with nutritional yeast and marmite for a ton of flavour, this vegan brown gravy is perfect with mashed potatoes, poutine, or as part of your Thanksgiving table. This healthy gravy recipe is made from scratch and it's super simple!
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup flour I used whole wheat pastry flour, but all purpose or a gluten-free flour is fine too
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 cups good quality vegetable broth hot
- 1-2 tsp Marmite
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- freshly cracked black pepper
Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan over medium-high heat.
When the oil begins to shimmer, whisk in the flour. Whisk constantly for about 1-2 minutes until the flour begins to smell a bit nutty.
Add the nutritional yeast and continue to whisk for one more minute.
Add 1/2 cup of the broth and whisk into the flour mixture so that it is smooth and there are no lumps.
Add the remaining broth.
Simmer the gravy, whisking constantly, until it begins to thicken and is bubbling. This could take about 5 minutes.
Reduce the heat to low, and whisk in the dried thyme, some freshly cracked black pepper, and 1 tsp of Marmite.
Taste your gravy and decide whether you want to add a bit more Marmite, and adjust the seasonings as necessary.
Transfer to a gravy boat, and serve hot!
- Nutrition values are an estimate only.
- Can this gravy be made gluten-free? I have't personally tried this recipe with a gluten-free flour, but I'm confident that it would work out with an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend in place of the regular flour.
- Can this gravy be made in advance? Yes! You can make it, keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days, and re-heat it when you're ready to serve. It will thicken as it cools and will thin out again when you reheat it.
- How do you reheat this gravy? I've used both the microwave and the stovetop to reheat this gravy.
- Can I freeze this gravy? Yes! Pour it off into a container and throw it in the freezer. Thaw and re-heat when you're ready to use.
- What if I don't have Marmite? As stated above, you can replace the marmite with an equivalent amount of dark soy sauce. But Marmite is delicious and you should have it in your life!
- What if I don't have nutritional yeast? The nooch is super important for this recipe, so there isn't a substitute. Go out and get yourself some, it's bonkers good on popcorn!
Calories: 75kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 257mg | Potassium: 72mg | Vitamin A: 125IU | Iron: 0.5mg