This easy vegetarian bolognese sauce is made with crumbled tempeh, nutritional yeast, and flavourful spices. Done in under 30 minutes but with all-day flavour and packed with plant-based protein, this vegetarian pasta sauce is the perfect quick and healthy weeknight dinner.
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 8 oz package tempeh crumbled
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water more as needed
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the onion, and sauté until it just begins to brown, stirring frequently.
Add the garlic, and cook for 2-3 minutes, more, until it has just softened.
Now add the tempeh crumbles, and sauté with the onions and garlic until the tempeh begins to brown - about five minutes.
Add the oregano, thyme, and chili and cook with the spices for about a minute.
Add the diced tomatoes, water, and nutritional yeast and stir well to combine. If the mixture is to thick, add a bit more water as needed (remember it'll thicken as it cooks).
Reduce the heat to medium-low, and let the bolognese simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve over hot whole wheat spaghetti, with extra nutritional yeast sprinkled over the top.
- Nutrition values are an estimate only
- Nutrition calculation is for sauce only, does not include pasta.
- Help, I can't find tempeh! Bummer, man. But worry not, you can replace the tempeh with an equivalent amount of crumbled tofu or cooked lentils.
- Can I make this veggie bolognese sauce in advance? Yup! It'll last you 3-5 days in the fridge and it reheats like a dream.
- Can I freeze this vegetarian bolognese? You sure can! I like to portion it into single or double servings and then freeze it, or you can totally freeze the entire batch, too.
- Is this recipe vegan? It is 100% vegan as written.
- Is this recipe gluten-free? If you serve with gluten-free pasta, then you bet your butt it is!
- Can I add extra vegetables to the pasta sauce? You sure can! Grated zucchini and carrots work great in this recipe.
Calories: 205kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 297mg | Potassium: 728mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 330IU | Vitamin C: 22.5mg | Calcium: 143mg | Iron: 3.9mg