Spicy Pickled Onions
These quick pickled red onions are the best way to add a punch of flavour to burgers, tacos, salads, and more. I love making homemade spicy pickled onions. It takes only a handful of ingredients, a few minutes of hands-on time, and is an easy low sugar recipe you'll make again and again.
- 2 cups red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium red chili thinly sliced
- 2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Thinly slice your red onions using a sharp knife or mandoline. Thinly slice the chili pepper.
Pack 2 cups thinly sliced red onion, 1/2 - 1 a thinly sliced chili pepper, and 2 tsp of black peppercorns into a wide-mouthed mason jar.
In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 tsp sea salt, and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
Heat the vinegar mixture over medium heat until the sugar has completely dissolved.
Carefully pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onions.
Press the onions down using a glass so they are fully submerged.
Set aside on the counter top to cool for 30-60 minutes.
Transfer the pickled onions and liquid into a container with a lid and keep in the fridge.
- Nutrition values are an estimate only and is based on 12 servings.
- Pickled red onion will last indefinitely in your fridge in an airtight container so long as the onion is submerged in liquid.
Calories: 23kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 51mg | Potassium: 62mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 20IU | Vitamin C: 4.7mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 0.2mg