We have a new family member!
No, not *that* one. Hey Nutrition Baby is supposed to keep cooking for another 7-ish weeks. It’s this one 👆
I looooooove kombucha but have never tried making my own. I discovered that a friend of mine brews her own kombucha – and honestly, the last person I would have pegged as a ‘buch brewer – I figured if she could do it I could do it, and asked for a baby from her scoby. So meet my new baby, Toby the Scoby!
Experienced kombucha brewers, gimmie all your tips! I want your recipes, wisdom, and any other information you’ve gleaned from batch to batch! I’ve got my first batch brewing (I think I pissed it off by moving the jug to take that photo, but it looks much better today) and it should be ready in 10 days or so. Exciting!
This week we ripped the bandaid off and took the side off of Niko’s crib. He had been climbing out on the reg, and after I heard a crash in the middle of the night and discovered he had rolled off of the sofa (NOT where I put him to bed) we figured it was time.
I had planned to transition him to a toddler bed before the baby arrives, and was having second thoughts, but he went ahead and made the decision for us. We’re using the ol’ pool noodle under the sheets trick to keep him from rolling out, and so far it’s going fine.
He *is* getting out of bed whenever the eff he feels like it in the morning, which is far earlier than he was waking up before and far earlier than I’d like. And although bedtime seems to be going ok, getting this boy down for a nap on the weekend has proven to be a battle royale. I’m hoping we’ll be settled into a better routine before his little brother arrives.
In other exciting news, I finally got an Instant Pot! And to make things fun it arrived at the same time as our stroller-expansion kit. Luckily I had the foresight to take our stroller with me and managed to get this load home relatively pain free.
Anyways, INSTANT POT!!! I get lots of questions about whether my recipes work in an Instant Pot, and now I’ll be able to answer them! I’ve got a few on the list to test right away, but if you’ve got any requests, please let me know. Also, any of you who are IP experts or have great resources you’d like to point me towards, I’d love to know all about them.
On Hey Nutrition Lady this week
This week we made an easy and delicious Vegetarian Frittata with Corn and Tomatoes. You guys, this one is soooooo good. And you have to make the Chimichurri sauce to go with it, it really takes things to the next level.
We talked lunch packing strategy with 10 Lunch Packing Tips for Tasty, Healthy, and Budget-Friendly Lunches. How’s your lunch packing mojo going? You ready for this?!
And we made super delicious Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread with a secret ingredient that makes it extra moist and extra healthy… quinoa!
What’s Trending on HNL
These are the five most popular posts on Hey Nutrition Lady over the last week!
1. Chocolate Black Bean Brownie Smoothie. I love seeing this unconventional smoothie in #1 position!
2. Black Bean and Quinoa Freezer Burritos. I made a batch of these myself this week. Starting to stock the freezer for newborn times!
3. Vegetarian Sheet Pan Gnocchi Bake. This one is so good while summer produce is still in season!
4. Chocolate Energy Bites. Yes!
5. Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread. Already in the top 5!
What’s Good Around the Web
1. A global study published in The Lancet this week suggests that there is no safe level of alcohol consumption. Oh geeze.
2. I chuck my old contact lenses down the sink All. The. Time. Now I’ll think twice about it.
3. This study shows that the secret to portion control might be in your head.
4. Do you make your own ice cream? If yes, please go out IMMEDIATELY and get the ingredients for this Sweet Corn and Black Raspberry Ice Cream. It is the literal best.
5. Can we all just calm down about coconut oil? It isn’t “pure poison” but nor is it necessarily healthy. Everything in moderation, mmmkay?