Sunday morning pancakes are verrrrry serious business in our house. I make a big batch of these whole wheat cottage cheese pancakes and we stuff ourselves silly and then freeze the rest for quick and easy weekday breakfasts.
Do you know what the most terrible creature on earth is? A jet-lagged toddler. Ho-lee crap, there is no wrath like that of a jet-lagged toddler. And it’s hard to be mad because we’re the d-bags who dragged him across nine time zones, but this round of toddler jet-lag was coupled with newly acquired ninja-like crib escape skills, which made things extra challenging.
I’d be lying in bed in the room next to Niko’s, listening to silence and thinking the situation was improving, when suddenly the living room lights would turn on. So the little turd had escaped from his bed so quickly and so silently that I hadn’t heard him through the connecting door (I mean, we’re basically head to head) and sauntered out to the living room to get some activities going.
Luckily I had the foresight to not schedule too much work until I knew we’d be more or less back to normal (although there was a point where I felt like I may never sleep through the night again) and had granted myself a week off from the blog, so we / I did have some time to recover.
I tell ya, though, the jet lag seems to have parlayed into third-trimester fatigue which I suspect is here to stay for the next couple of months. Hard to believe there are just eight weeks to go! Although Niko was born eight days late, so I’m not putting too much stock in the actual due date.
On Hey Nutrition Lady This Week
This week we made these tasty little Chocolate Energy Bites! They’re made with just FOUR simple ingredients, are vegan, paleo, gluten-free, Whole 30 compliant, and naturally sweetened. Plus they’re damn delicious if you ask me!
Back to school / back to work time is upon us, so I’ve rounded up 20 Make-Ahead Vegetarian Lunch Ideas to help get your lunch packing mojo flowing again.
I also shared this Vegetarian Sheet-Pan Gnocchi Bake, which is one of my favourite things for dinner right now. It’s one of those simple one-pan dinners where you just chuck everything in the pan, chuck said pan in the oven, and a little while later you’ve got a delicious dinner ready to go.
What’s Trending on HNL
These are the five most popular posts on Hey Nutrition Lady over the last week!
1. Mung Bean and Coconut Curry. This is my most popular recipe of all time! Glad to see it’s getting some love this week.
2. Curried Cauliflower Chickpea Wraps. These spicy make-ahead wraps are freezer friendly and perfect for packed lunches!
3. Chocolate Black Bean Brownie Smoothie. You people love beans in your smoothies, and I love you.
4. Tempeh Bolognese. Comfort food season is on the horizon!
5. Black Bean and Quinoa Freezer Burritos. Yes! More meal prep freezer friendly food.
What’s Good Around the Web
3. Here’s what healthy snacking looks like around the world. Interesting!
4. It never occurred to me to use MCT oil in salad dressing! I love these 3 ideas for simple superfood dressings.
5. What do you think about this row with the dairy industry over plant-based milks? Personally I get it, but also think it’s pretty silly.