It's hard to believe our summer trip back to Canada is nearly over already! It always flies by, and it's always bittersweet to go home, but I do admit in a way I'm looking forward to getting back into my usual routine (by that I mean getting my kid back into daycare so I can get some sh*t done).
This past week Niko and I took a little trip to Calgary to visit his big cousins. As fun as his little cousins are, the big ones are just so cool, have cool toys, and can keep Niko entertained for extended periods of time so mamma can get a break. I need to start a rent-a-cousin service back in Stockholm. I'd make millions.
It was our first time travelling without a pack and play, which was mostly fine but made for some interesting sleeping arrangements at times.
On the trip home (which was flight --> train --> bus --> ferry) my kid, who had not napped, had an epic meltdown on the bus. I did everything I could to soothe him without taking him out of his stroller because I knew he really needed to sleep, and a lady got all up in my business about not doing more to stop him from crying.
This is the first time something like that has happened to me in 2.5 years of parenting, and I was grateful for the man who tapped me on the shoulder to tell me I was doing a great job. That guy was a freaking hero. We should all be that guy.
On Hey Nutrition Lady This Week
This week we made Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps with Spicy Sesame Tempeh. They're super easy to make, totally vegan, and packed with incredible spicy flavour.
This Black Bean Burrito Stack is a super easy riff on black bean burritos with no rolling required! You just make layers of burrito filling and tortillas and cheese and bake the whole thing up, then slice into wedges. Easy!
What's Trending on HNL
These are the five most popular posts on Hey Nutrition Lady over the last week!
1. Slow Cooker Chickpea Curry. Looks like you guys are planning ahead for back to school time with this super easy vegan recipe.
2. Tortellini Pasta Salad. Glad to see this quick and nourishing summer pasta salad trending this week!
3. How to Make Chia Pudding. Let's make breakfast easy again!
4. Indonesian Black Rice Pudding. This luxurious Balinese breakfast is blowing up this week!
5. Turmeric Latte Mix. Thinking ahead for holiday gifts already or drinking iced turmeric lattes? I want to know!
What's Good Around The Web
2. This aligns with the research I've been reading --> Low levels of omega-3 fatty acids in the first and second trimester is found to be associated with pre-term births. FYI, if you don't eat fish (I don't) algae oil supplements that contain both DHA and EPA are the only reliable vegetarian source of omega-3 supplements. I take them daily.
4. Confused about how to read food labels? Here's a great guide that shows you how.
5. Does your child want to become vegetarian? Here's what you should know.