1. We've had marginal success with our Gro clock (but some successes nonetheless) keeping our little monster in his room until we'd like him to get up. One of the issues is that our bedrooms look over a parking lot behind our building, and we're located right by a sensor that sets off an alarm if a tall truck is driving under a tunnel with another building on top of it.
Construction work typically starts super early in the morning here, and most mornings sometime around 6am a large truck will drive through that space and set off the alarm. Once I hear it I know I'll hear Niko softly knocking on my door within a couple of minutes (at least he's polite about it?) and then he usually climbs into bed with me for a snuggle until I agree that it's time to get up.
The other morning, though, I heard a few soft knocks on my door and then it came flying open and he said, "Mom! I've been eating muffins in the kitchen!" and when he climbed into my bed I could indeed smell pumpkin spice on his breath. I'd made a batch of muffins the previous evening and left them on the counter to cool, and I guess he got up and saw the light Paul had left on in the kitchen and decided to help himself to the tops from three muffins.
At least I didn't need to make breakfast?
2. I've more or less finished off my pre-baby to-do list at this point. This week I splurged on having a cleaning service come in to do a deep clean of the apartment before the baby arrives. We used a cleaning service on the reg when we were DINKS, but haven't used them since Niko was born.
My gosh, why not?! I need to get them back in rotation now. I forgot how awesome it is to have someone come in and really go to town with cleaning, rather than the one hour we (these days only Paul) spend cleaning on the weekends.
So I think we're ready? I'd like to formally thank this baby for staying put over the last week while our babysitter was out of town at a conference, because we did not have a backup backup plan.
3. Depending on who you ask my due date is either yesterday or tomorrow. It's yesterday if we're going with my iPhone app and tomorrow if we're going by the ultrasound dating, which I guess is what we're officially going with. But unofficially, babies are d-bags and tend to come when they please, so who knows when this little guy will arrive.
But! The always-fun "hey, have you had that baby yet?!" text messages have started to come in. They started late this time! Those messages always annoy / amuse me because a) it's probably not something I'd forget to mention, and b) they often come from people who I otherwise never hear from.
4. This week I was on the Dishing with Delishes Podcast talking about my somewhat unconventional career path, how I've carved my way as a self-employed Nutrition Lady and writer, and why rebranding the blog was the right decision for me.
If you read this blog on the reg maybe you've wondered what my voice actually sounds like? Wonder no more! Download the podcast and get my sweet, sweet (super Kermety) voice all up in your earballs.
On Hey Nutrition Lady This Week
We started the week off with a gloriously seasonal Pear and Gorgonzola Salad! I've been waiting a long time to share this one with you, and I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do! Click here to pin this recipe.
Since we're really down to the wire with waiting for this baby, I've been furiously stashing food away in the freezer for busier times. I took my learnings from having done this once before, and rounded up 37 Vegetarian Freezer Meals For New Moms, including breakfasts, lunches you can eat with one hand, easy dinners, and the all important snacks! Click here for the pin!
Lastly, I updated and refreshed this creamy, dreamy, and totally vegan Baked Pumpkin Risotto. That's right, it's a BAKED risotto, so no standing over the stove and stirring for hours on end. Click here to pin this recipe.
What's trending on HNL
These are the five most popular posts on Hey Nutrition Lady over the last week!
What's Good Around The Web
3. The science behind the munchies: Cannabis and your appetite.
5. Talking to yourself? It's good for you!
This post contains affiliate links, and I may earn a commission at no additional cost to you if you click through and make a purchase. This allows me to continue to provide free content, and I only share products that I use and love myself.