Hi friends! Let's have a tea and a chat, shall we? I'm really loving the dairy-free matcha lattes lately, sometimes with a splash of coconut milk in there. I'm hoping for warmer weather and colder drinks soon, but alas, here we are.
I've started doing some 'spring cleaning' on the site in preparation for the relaunch, which I hope will happen in early May. Although it'll be sad to say goodbye to The Muffin Myth, I'm really excited about where this is going, and the change feels really, really right. Have any of you guessed the new name? Keen readers may have figured it out already!
It's been interesting to reflect on the evolution of this site over the past eight years, from a really misguided "post anything" site with a terrible green template and muffins in the header (do any of you remember those days?!) to where it is today and where it's going.
Of course none of this would mean anything without you, dear readers, and I hope that the new site continues to serve you in new and better ways along with the good old reliable no-nonsense myth-busting nutrition content you've come to expect from this space.
Please feel free to get in touch at any time if you've got questions, comments, or topics you'd like to see tackled here. I always love to hear from you!
When in doubt, donate
I took a slightly different route with my donation this month and signed up to provide a micro-loan through Kiva. The concept is quite simple and has proven to be highly effective; people around the world sign up for small loans that are crowd-sourced in increments as little as $25 per lender.
I filtered my search and chose a women's group that supports Syrian refugees who are trying to pay off medical expenses as a result of childbirth and labour. I live in a country with universal health care and I paid not a penny for my pregnancy or childbirth, so this seemed like a particularly poignant way to give back.
When the loan is repaid (if it is - there is always a risk it won't be) I plan to roll it forward into another loan, or donate it to Kiva's operational expenses.
The Muffin Myth, in other places
On Hello Veggie I wrote a post about whether or not you need to be freaking out about heavy metal content in your protein powder. On Hello Glow I got down to business talking about everything you need to know about constipation (but were afraid to ask).
Last but not least, the links!
1. Anyone else eat a little too much Easter chocolate this weekend? Here's The Dark Truth About Chocolate.
2. This is important stuff --> Nothing Good Can Ever Come From Weighing Your Child.
4. Good news for a plant-based diet --> Monounsaturated fat from plants, not animals, may lower heart disease risk.
5. Food for thought --> How the Whole 30 Diet Affects Your Gut.
6. What's the deal with collagen supplements anyways?
8. Is it time to give up on fish oil? (<-- related: I don't take fish oil because I don't eat fish, but I do take an algae oil supplement to get my DHA / ALA)
10. And lastly, The Last Conversation You'll Ever Need to Have About Eating Right.