You may notice there’s something missing from this week’s meal plan: no breakfast on Monday or Wednesday. Keen eye. I get a lot of questions about different ways of eating, and in order to be best informed I do as much background reading as possible and usually try out eating that way for a time. Several people asked me about intermittent fasting, so I did some background reading and then decided to give it a try. Monday and Wednesday are my ‘fast’ days, and I prefer to eat just two light meals.
The doubled up smoothie / overnight oats breakfasts are because I’ve been finding now that I’m back to lunch hour swims, I need a second breakfast / snack before I swim. By the time I’m back at my desk and ready to eat lunch it’s often 2:30pm, and that’s a long time to go on just a smoothie, especially with a workout in the mix. On Tuesday I’ve got a dinner / business meeting with a friend who is gluten intolerant, so I thought I’d try out a baked risotto. Thursday is a trip to Ikea / dinner / business meeting with another friend, so we’ll need something quick and easy. And since I’m going to be solo on Friday (I’m actually going to be solo all week as Paul is in Brazil on business) I’m going to treat myself to a cheeky single lady takeout dinner and many, many episodes of Grey’s Anatomy.
You guys are getting the recipe for those chipotle hummus wraps on Tuesday!
1. More good news on turmeric: Brain repair may be boosted by curry spice.
2. Is butter really back? This is a looooong but very informative post on dietary fats from the Harvard School of Public Health.
3. Elevating dinner for one. Beautiful article by Tamar Adler.
4. It’s flu season! Boost your immune system with exercise. And, how physical exercise protects the brain from stress-induced depression. Get moving!
5. So, this guy has replaced his gut microbiome with that of a hunter gatherer. Fascinating read (warning, lots of poop talk) and it’ll be interesting to see where this goes.