We had the first snowfall of the season on Thursday evening. Big thick snowflakes came down in droves, and I sat in our living room window and watched the wind move them around. The snow didn't stay long on the ground, but there are lots of icy patches it left behind. Winter is coming.
What’s good around the web is a weekly series where I share some of what I’ve been reading around the web. Each week I’ll be posting links to five nutrition related articles, good recipes, and just general good reads. I hope you enjoy it! If you’ve got at article or recipe you’d like to see featured, please email me.
1. A lawyer is urging the FDA to ban the sale of energy drinks to minors after the tragic death of a teenaged girl which has been attributed to caffeine intoxication. I've seen signs in some grocery stores limiting their sale to those over 16, which I think is a good thing.
2. According to one of the co-founders of Whole Foods, we can afford to eat healthier food, we just choose not to. Have consumers been 'corrupted' by the availability of cheap food?
3. I've been advocating cooking pumpkins (even the jack o'lanterns!) for years. Thanks, Mark Bittman, for backing me up.
4. It's Halloween this week. Are you handing out candy? Pilfering your kid's candy bag? Stressing out about the candy in your home? Relax, and moderate. Candy's virtue is in it's honesty.
5. Check out this social media driven fast food awareness campaign / boycott by Ontario high school students: Stick It To Fast Food.
All text and photos © The Muffin Myth 2012