A simple carrot salad is coupled with tahini toast for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
Happy Monday! I’ve got another instalment in the Toast for Dinner series, and this one is easy, fresh, and delicious!
I’ve been in the habit lately of putting tahini in and on all kinds of things. I don’t know why it never occurred to me before that tahini toast would be good – it’s not all that different from putting almond butter or peanut butter on toast. But the flavour – and I prefer tahini made from toasted sesame seeds – is out of this world.
Tahini and carrot is a logical combination of flavours, and since I’ve been craving fresh, herby flavours lately, I paired the tahini toast with a simple carrot salad. It doesn’t take more than 5 minutes to whip the salad together, which means you can basically get it organized while your toast is toasting, but if you prefer to make it in advance, it will hold up for several days in the fridge.
But, for a quick and easy weeknight dinner, it doesn’t get much more simple than this. Toast some toast, grate some carrots, squeeze a lemon, and you’re in business. A satisfying dinner on your table just like that.
Carrots contain good amounts of antioxidant nutrients, including antioxidants like vitamin C, as well as phytonutrient antioxidants such as beta-carotene.Red and purple carrots are rich in anthocyanin, and in yellow carrots, about half of the total carotenoids come from lutein. The ntioxidant nutrients in carrots are believed to provide cardioprotective benefits – that is, they’re good for your heart! But there’s more to the health benefits of carrots than that: studies have demonstrated the ability of carrot extracts to inhibit the grown of colon cancer cells. Carrots are also an excellent source of vitamin A, biotin, vitamin K, dietary fiber, molybdenum, potassium, and vitamin B6, and vitamin C.
toast for dinner - tahini toast with simple carrot salad
- 2 large carrots
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- juice of 1/2 - 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- pinch of sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 slices wholegrain bread
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- Peel and grate the carrots, then place them into a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the chopped parsley, juice of 1/2 a lemon, olive oil, mustard, and a pinch of sugar. Season with salt and pepper, then mix well to combine,
- Taste the salad, and decide if you'd like to use the rest of the lemon juice.
- Toast your bread, and spread generously with tahini. Sprinkle the toast with a little salt if you like.
- Serve the tahini toast either topped with carrot salad, or with the salad along side.
-This is more carrot salad than you'll need for dinner for one, but it keeps well in the fridge for packed lunches or another dinner on a busier day.
-I've been really into parsley lately, so I used 1/2 a cup. For a less herby flavour, you can use 1/4 cup instead.